06 Dec Sweet Potato Crusted Quichè
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (thinly sliced using a mandolin or sharp knife)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot (thinly sliced)
- 3-4 Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Spinach (washed)
- 5 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Egg Whites
- 1/3 Cup Milk (or heavy cream – 35%)
- 2 Grinds Coarse Salt
- 5 Grinds Fresh Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Brush a 9″ pie plate or similar size baking dish with 1/2 of the Olive Oil.
- Peel and Slice the sweet potatoes and line the bottom of the dish with 1 layer of sweet potato slices. Half some of the slices to fit on the sides of the dish – completely cover the bottom and sides.
- Brush the other 1/2 of the Olive Oil over the top of the sweet potatoes and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, sauté the shallots, garlic, mushrooms, chilli flakes and sun-dried tomatoes in 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Then add the spinach to wilt and combine with the over vegetables.
- Mix the Eggs, Egg Whites, milk, salt and pepper by whisk until foamy.
- Add the vegetables and spinach to the baked crust, pour the egg mixture over and add the grated cheese to the top.
- Bake for another 25 minutes – Quiche will puff up and begin to brown.
- Serve with Franks Red Hot Sauce!