27 Jul Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 1/2 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried savoury
- 1 beef bouilion cube
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cup mixed vegetables (frozen)
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 sweet potato (optional)
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Place potatoes and 6 garlic gloves in a large pan and cover with cold water. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender enough to mash. Drain and mash. Beat in milk and 1 egg (reserving 1 teaspoon of the egg for a wash).
- In a medium pot bring the diced sweet potatoes to a boil and cook until softened. Mash only, no need to add anything to the sweet potato mash. (optional)
- Place the ground beef in a large non-stick skillet. Cook the beef over medium heat until browned, breaking the meat up as it cooks. Drain the oil off the meat and return to heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Stir in Corn Starch, salt and pepper, thyme and savoury.
- Add the beef bouillon cube to the water and dissolve. Add to pan along with theWorcestershire sauce and Bay leaf.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and sauté for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the Bay Leaf and spread the mixture in a deep baking casserole dish. Top with garlic mashed potatoes. Spread the sweet potato mash over the top of the mashed potatoes and with a knife swirl into the mashed potato topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.