27 Jul Chicken Potpie
Posted at 15:19h in All Recipes, Meats 0 Comments
- 2 Cups Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 1/2 Cups Carrots (peeled and sliced into same size as potatoes)
- 2/3 Cups Butter
- 1 small Onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk Celery (diced)
- 1 Cup Button Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup Flour (can substitute G.F. flour)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup 35% Cream (can substitute milk)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Chicken (cubed and cooked)
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn (1 cup of mixed frozen vegetables can be substituted for peas and corn)
- 1 Pkg Pie Pastry (or hand made pastry to cover the top of the pie)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bring potatoes and carrots to a boil, reduce and let cook for 10 minutes. They should be ‘tender crisp’.
- In a large oven proof skillet, saute the chicken in oil until opaque; set aside.
- Add the butter to the skillet to melt.
- Add the onion, celery, mushrooms. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and thyme to coat and blend.
- Add the chicken broth and cream gradually while continuously stirring the mixture until it comes to a boil. Cook an additional 2 minutes (or until thickened.
- Stir in Potatoes, carrots, chicken, peas and corn.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover this with a sheet of pie pastry, crimping the edges and also cutting some air holes / slits in the middle.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until pastry is slightly browned.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.