27 Jul Scalloped Potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh Thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6-7 Yukon gold potatoes (approx. 2 lbs.)
- 1 med Onion (sliced – leave in rounds)
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese (grated)
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir in garlic and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the corn starch, thyme, pepper and cook for an additional minute (or two)
- Gradually whisk in the butter milk
- Continue whisking until boiling and thickened (approx. 8 minutes)
- Wash and scrub potatoes leaving the skin on
- Slice potatoes in thin slices, and soak in cold water (while slicing)
- Oil a baking dish and place 1/3 of the potatoes into an even layer
- Add the onion rings and cover this with another 1/3 of the potatoes
- Cover this with the Asiago Cheese
- Top with last 1/3rd of the potatoes.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the potatoes covering and ensuring that the sauce runs to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and back for 1 hour @ 350°.
- Uncover and continue baking for another 20 minutes until potatoes are browned and most of the liquid is gone.
- Let set 5 – 10 minutes before serving.