21 Jul Frozen Strawberry Dessert with Gluten Free Shortbread Crust
Posted at 12:51h in All Recipes, Desserts, Gluten Free 0 Comments
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1/2 Cup Butter (1 stick) softened to room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 3 Egg Whites (I often use the cartons of egg whites – then substitute 2 Tbsp for each egg)
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Cups Fresh Strawberries (cleaned, hulled and sliced)
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 Cup 35% Cream (Whipping Cream)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 glass baking dish or a 9 inch round spring form baking pan.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and butter with a pastry cutter until crumbly (don’t be afraid to use your hands if necessary)
- Mix in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan and press evenly and smoothly in the pan.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, remove and let cool at room temperature.
- In one large bowl, combine the egg whites, white sugar, strawberries and lemon juice. Puree the strawberries and add to bowl and then beat the whole mixture on high for a good 10 minutes (fluffing up the egg whites.
- In another bowl add the 35% cream and and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture and add to the cooled pan spreading evenly.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours (or overnight)
- Serve with a fresh strawberry (fanned) and a drizzle of chocolate.