07 Mar Braised Salmon with Fennel and Apples
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 for braising -18 minutes for baking.
Serving: 2 people
A Word From The Cook
Fresh Fennel is not used often enough (IMO), it is an interesting taste and burst of flavours. I like to use it instead of onions in some recipes, but in this recipe it is the flavour on its own augmented with apples and a bit of honey and mustard. It is restaurant worthy!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Fillets of Salmon (I prefer skin off)
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb (fronds removed and saved)
- 1/2 Apple
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Mix the Dijon and the Honey together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat Oven to 350°.
- Heat 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in a skillet (I like to use my cast iron skillet).
- Add the 1/2 ‘ved Fennel Bulb (Cut into match stick size pieces).
- Sauté for about 5 minutes (fennel will begin to brown)
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil to the same skillet, braise the salmon on both sides about 2 minutes per side.
- Cover the salmon with the braised Fennel, add the 1/2 Apple (cut into large match stick size pieces).
- Drizzle the Dijon / Honey mixture over top.
- Bake @ 350° for 18 minutes.
- Served over a bed a rice surrounded by Braised Brussel Sprouts.