05 Jan Paella with Shrimp and Sausage
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme (or 1/2 Tbsp dried)
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 2-3 Grinds Salt
- 5-6 Grinds Pepper
- 2 Roma Tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Peppers in Adobo Sauce (diced finely, including the sauce)
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas (frozen or fresh)
- 10 Large Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 Sausages (Chorizo) sliced into bite size pieces.
- Lemon Wedges and Parsley (fresh) for garnishing.
- Heat the Olive Oil in a Paella Pan or large skillet on medium.
- Add Onion, Celery, Garlic and Peppers and sauté for 3-4 minutes
- Add the Arborio and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, wine, Thyme and saffron and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-18 minutes. Taste the rice after cooking and if necessary add another 1/2 cup of stock and continue cooking until done.
- While the Arborio is cooking, in a separate skillet, sauté the sausages and shrimp until cooked.
- Once the Arborio is cooked, add the tomatoes, Chilli Peppers and Peas and stir in continuing to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the Shrimp and Sausage to the top, garnish with Lemon Wedges and Parsley.