04 Jan Prime Rib Au Jus
Posted at 19:54h in All Recipes, Gluten Free, Meats 0 Comments
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: approx. 2 hrs + 15 minutes resting time
Serving: I like to order the Prime Rib off the bones, but then cradled back on for cooking. The butcher knows to get you a good roast when you ask for it done this way. Rule of thumb is 1 Rib for 2 people , so I’m usually cooking a 4-5 rib roast.
A Word From The Cook
This is a New Year’s day tradition when we have the whole family together. Usually done at Tremblant.
- 4 lb AAA Prime Rib Roast (see notes for size of roast to order)
- 4-5 grinds salt
- 7-8 grinds of pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp dried Rosemary
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Pre-heat oven to 450° F (on Roast – if that is an option)
- Bring the roast to room temperature. Remove from packaging and pat dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle the Olive Oil over the roast and grind the salt and pepper over all sides
- Place the roast in a shallow roasting pan and place in oven for 15 minutes (to sear in the Juices)
- While the roast is searing, combine in the crushed garlic and herbs into a thick paste. Rub this over the roast after the 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 275°F and return roast to oven for approx. 1 1/2 hours. Internal temperature should be 145°F (medium rare).
- Remove from Oven, and tent loosely with tin foil for 15 minutes
- Pour any pan drippings into a glass measuring cup (or gravy separator) and remove any grease that rises to the top.
- Pour the drippings back into the pan, add the wine and cook over medium heat scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the beef stock, and continue to cook until the juices are reduced by about 1/3 to 1/2.
- Strain if you prefer.