27 Jul Turnip Brûlée
- 1 Turnip (medium sized – about 4 cups diced)
- 1/4 Cup 35% Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tbsp Chopped fresh Chives
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Grind Salt
- 3-4 Grinds Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Chopped fresh Chives
- Peel and dice the turnip and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes until softened.
- Drain, then mash the turnip.
- Add the whipping cream and orange juice.
- Using a hand mixer whip the turnip until is has a smooth texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and 1 tsp ground ginger
- Whip again until well blended.
- Place into a shallow baking dish / gratin dish.
- Bake @ 350° F for 20 minutes
- Combine the parmesan and brown sugar in a small bowl until it is well mixed.
- Sprinkle this on top of the baked turnip
- Place under the broiler @ 500° F for 5 minutes (watch closely) or using a torch, melt the cheese and brown sugar until crisp.