27 Jul Gin and Tonic Brundt Cake
Posted at 02:56h in All Recipes, Desserts 0 Comments
- 3 Limes
- 30 Juniper Berries (dried), more for garnish
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2. Cups Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Gin (divided 1/3 each)
- 3/4 Cup Tonic Water (not flat)
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar
- Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Zest all 3 limes and set aside.
- Juice the 3 limes set aside.
- Using a ‘Muddle’ smash the Juniper berries until finely ground / flakey, set aside.
- Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the mixture and continue to mix on low speed.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup of the lime juice and 1/3 cup of the gin and beat on low until smooth.
- Add the lime zest and juniper berries and beat just until the are integrated into the mixture.
- Remove bowl from mixer and with a spatula fold in the tonic water.
- Pour into greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Done when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out dry.
- Let stand on wire rack while cake cools for about 45 minutes before turning upside down onto a cake plate.
- Combine 2 cups of powdered icing sugar, 1/3 cup of gin and 1 tbsp of lime juice in a small sauce pan.
- Whisk while heating on medium for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and continue whisking as mixture thickens slightly.
- Spoon 1/2 the mixture over the cake, letting the glaze run over the edges and onto the plate.
- Let that sit for about 5 minutes then add the rest of the glaze on top of the 1st layer. I often like to add a bit of food coloring to the 2nd batch to increase the optics of the glaze (completely optional).
- Serve with real whipped cream, and grate some lime zest over the whipped cream and cake.