27 Jul Baked Salmon in Pastry
- 1 Package of Pie Crust Mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free) (see picture) (or home made pastry; gluten free recipe in other section)
- 1 filet Salmon (enough to serve 6 – rule of thumb is 1/2 lb. per person)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Pinenuts (roasted)
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten) for sealing pastry
- Pre heat oven to 425°.
- Place parchment paper on 2 baking sheets.
- Place the salmon on the 1st baking sheet and season (to taste) with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and brush to cover the salmon
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on pastry with 1/2 the filling.
- In a large skillet, wilt the spinach in butter on medium-high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Once wilted and seasoned, drain with a colander or sieve.
- Toast the Pine nuts in a skillet on medium-high until toasted about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Split the pastry into 2 rounds, rolling each out to be a little larger than the salmon.
- Place one piece of the pastry onto the clean parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place half of the wilted spinach onto the pastry, then place the salmon on top of the spinach
- Place the rest of the wilted spinach on top of the salmon and top with cranberries, toasted pine nuts and crumbled feta.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash. Top this with the 2nd piece of pastry, crimp the edges to seal.
- Make some slight incisions into the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
- Bake approx. 30 minutes. Pastry will be a golden brown.