27 Jul Baked Salmon in Pastry
- 1 container Pilsbury Gluten Free Pastry (see picture) (or home made pastry; gluten free recipe in other section)
- 1 filet Salmon (enough to serve 6 – rule of thumb is 1/2 lb. per person)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Fresh Dill
- 1 Lemon (sliced)
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Pinenuts (roasted)
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten) for sealing pastry
- Pre heat oven to 425°.
- Place parchment paper on 2 baking sheets.
- Place the salmon on the 1st baking sheet and season (to taste) with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and brush to cover the salmon.
- Cover with dill and then the lemon slices.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and skim the dill and lemon off the salmon. Save for garnish later.
- In a large skillet, wilt the spinach in butter on medium-high heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the spinach using a colander or sieve
- Toast the pine nuts on medium-high in a skillet until slightly toasted.
- Split the pastry into 2 rounds.
- Roll each one out to be a little larger than the salmon.
- Place one piece of the pastry onto the clean parchment lined baking sheet.
- Carefully lift the salmon (using 2 spatulas) and place on the pastry.
- Cover the salmon with spinach, then add the cranberries and pine nuts.
- Add the crumbled feta.
- Top with the 2nd pastry brushing the edges with the egg wash.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry together all around.
- Make some slight incisions into the top of the pastry to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes; pastry will be golden brown.